Thursday, December 8, 2011

My greatest teachers

During my time in Auburn, I have had some amazing professors, and I have had some that make me cringe- no matter if I had their class ten years ago or last semester. I’ve had those professors who have inspired me to do better and I have had those who have inspired me just to survive the semester. It is possible that this is typical of a formalized learning environment, especially in higher education. Where I feel that the greatest difference has been made in my life is in the informal learning environments that I have found myself in and, to be honest, thankfully so. These informal opportunities for learning have been of great benefit to me, and to paraphrase from Frost, ‘they have made all the difference’ in who I am and who I am becoming.

In these learning opportunities, I have been blessed to have eight people who have been my teachers and mentors. Each of these eight souls and kindred spirits has each taught me one valuable lesson. In a sort of Dickensian view, I have been influenced by these teachers. While none of them have been spectres of what could happen or voices of times gone by, each has served as a role model for me and an example for me of what I should try to be.

The first of my great teachers is Jason. Jason taught me the importance of being thoroughly and completely dedicated to the goals and beliefs of the organization or task at hand. The teachable moments that he fostered and brought to bear were necessary and of great value. Sure, he is a bit rough around the edges, but what is of even greater importance is that despite those rough edges, he has the ability to shine with the luster of a hundred diamonds. Because of his commitment and his dedication, when he speaks or acts, his words and actions have great weight, and his ability to walk with kings and princes while not forsaking the common touch speaks great volumes.

The second of my great teachers is Michael. Michael and I have not had the best of relationships, but I learned from him the importance of personal commitment. Michael was there beside me during crisis, unwavering and steadfast. It took a long time for me to learn this lesson, but it is a lesson that I must remind myself of on a daily basis, not because I want to drift away from people but because it is such a valuable lesson. Being loyal to someone within the bonds of friendship and brotherhood is so incredibly important, and yet it is also something that is so easily forgotten or cast away. Michael taught me this lesson, and still teaches this lesson to me whether or not he knows it.

My third great teacher is another Jason. This Jason taught me the value and the importance of idealism. While it is frustrating and difficult to work with and learn, the importance of idealism cannot be underestimated. Idealism, I’ve found, leads to hope and desire. This of course is a gateway to accomplish things when combined with the lessons of my first two teachers. Idealism is important in that while it inspires hope and desire, it can also serve as a valuable lens with which to view the world and seek solutions to problems and difficult situations and circumstances.

My fourth great teacher is Brad who taught me the importance of being resolute in opinion and belief and sticking with it. While there have been times in our relationship where I have disagreed with him, and flat-out wondered what was/is wrong with him, I have consistently been aware of the power of his lesson. It is because of him that I have worked hard to emphasize to those who I am around or am (attempting) teaching the basic precepts of the lesson that he taught to me. Even ten years after the initial teachable moment, I am still learning from Brad and being reminded of the importance of being firm and resolute in ones beliefs and opinions. While this is a lesson that was taught to me first by my parents and grandparents, Brad has done a marvelous job of reinforcing it.

My fifth great teacher is John who taught me the importance viewing things from different angles and sides. At the time John became my teacher, I was concerned about how things would pan-out based solely on his past experiences. Fortunately, I was worried about nothing. John should the importance of approaching life and situations with the benefit of using different points of view- seeing things from different perspectives and sides. Not necessarily an easy lesson to teach, but one that was readily taught by John’s easy going demeanor and personality.

The sixth great teacher, and one whom I hold in high regard for the lesson he taught, is Bryan who taught me the importance of the second chance and the rarity that this precious gift is. As a student, I was a poor student. I became flustered with Bryan, and he with me. What he did though was not give-up, at first out of spite, and then (I can only assume) out of love. Our relationship, teacher-student, has been interesting and often times frustrating, but he served as a magnificent teacher. I learned much from him, and I thank him for his patience with me and helping me to see and to value the importance of the second chance.

One of my more recent great teachers and seventh on the list is Kyle who taught and reinforced the importance of quiet, methodical approaches to solving problems. While we have a similar background, Kyle showed me the benefit of a quiet and methodical approach to problem solving. While this is a lesson I learned a long time ago, it is a lesson that Kyle was uniquely able to re-teach and demonstrate. For this, I am grateful and very appreciative of his efforts. While our relationship is still in its infancy, it is my hope and desire that like the six before him, our relationship will grow and will thrive.

My eighth and last (most recent) great teacher and perhaps the one who taught me the most fundamental lesson of all is Becca. Becca taught me an important lesson about approaching life and unique situations, and that is to approach things (especially those learning moments) with a sense of awe, perhaps even child-like awe. I have grown far too accustomed to approaching a teachable moment or learning moment from the perspective of cold analytics. Becca taught there is a better way to approach just such a moment. While cold analytics are sometimes good, they aren’t the only way. The simple enthusiasm and joy of learning and experiencing the moment fully is a lesson that is priceless and one that I feel we must be reminded of more fully.

Now that I have rambled on ad nauseum about my eight great teachers, I’m sure that some are asking the question: what are you going to do if they see this? Isn’t this just a glorified, mass suck-up job? I’ll counter with this: Sure, it might seem that way to some, but to me it is not. This is my way of publicly stating who I consider my greatest informal teachers are and what lesson they taught me. This is the truth as best I can express it. I doubt they will ever read it, and if they do, I hope they will understand that this is a way for me to quietly (albeit publicly) thank them for the love, patience, and effort that they invested in me.

So to you who may read this, who are your great teachers? Who taught you something about life that you would not have been able to get from a textbook or a lecture? Who taught you things that have helped to shape you into the person that you are today or hope to become?

No comments:

Post a Comment